Postpartum Family Planning
Official Title: Initiation of injectable contraception immediately postpartum among breastfeeding women
To study the effect of postpartum Depo-Provera (DMPA) on milk let-down and on patterns of contraception use.
Women need to meet the following criteria:
1. Intend to deliver in the Labor and Delivery Unit at OSU
2. You are age 18 or older
3. Speak English
4. Intend to breastfeed, or express milk for their infant, for ≥6 months
5. Do not want to become pregnant within the first 12 months after delivery
6. Want to start use of DMPA immediately after delivery before discharge
7. Intend to reside in Ohio for the first 12 months after delivery.
Women who enroll before delivery will need to confirm above eligibility again, as well as meet the following additional criteria:
1. Are a postpartum patient in the Labor and Delivery Unit at OSU
2. Have delivered one full term, healthy baby weighing at least 5.5 pounds