A Study to Understand How Medications Can Impact Prediabetes in African Americans
Official Title: The Role of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System in Adiposity, Blood Pressure and Glucose Metabolism among African Americans: Pilot Study
The purpose of this study is to find out if taking one medication Diovan (valsartan) or a combination of two medications (valsartan and sacubatril) in one pill called Entresto, will improve prediabetes in Blacks /African Americans over the course of 6 months.
These medications are already FDA approved for treating heart conditions, such as heart failure. We will also look for changes in blood pressure and blood vessel stiffness throughout the course of the study in order to better understand how these medications may impact prediabetes.
- African American aged 18-65 years old
- History of impaired fasting glucose
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- A1c 5.7-6.4% or other risk factors for diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Systolic blood pressure greater than 150/100 or medications to lower your blood pressure
- Systolic blood pressure less than 100/60
- Treatment with statins
- Steroid use
- Hyperkalemia (high potassium levels)