Official TitleRetirement from Contact Sports after ConcussionPurpose
The purpose of this study is to understand the experiences of children and young adults after medical retirement from contact sports due to concussion(s).
Participants and their parent(s) will complete online questionnaires (about 10 minutes) at the time of enrollment. You will then be scheduled for an interview (about 30 minutes) by video meeting or phone.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range14 - 22 years
- Children and young adults who have retired from contact sports or other high-risk activities (i.e. dirt bike riding, downhill skiing...) due to prior concussion.
- Parents may participate if their child enrolls.
Official TitleA Multicenter, Open-Label Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Effectiveness of CIN-107 for the Management of Blood Pressure in Patients with Primary AldosteronismPurpose
The purpose of this study is to see how the study drug CIN-107 works in managing blood pressure in patients with primary aldosteronism (PA), a hormone disorder which causes your body to produce too much of the hormone aldosterone.
The duration of this study is 74 weeks.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range18 and up
- Diagnosis of primary aldosteronism (PA)
- Taking an MRA to control BP, such as Spironolactone or Eplerenone, or not yet taking an MRA
Official TitleThe 5000 Baby ProjectPurpose
The purpose of this study is to develop a screening tool to be used at birth to help lower the age at diagnosis of various developmental disorders.
Your infant will lie on their back in their diaper and have a video recorded of their movements. You will be given a medical history questionnaire to fill out during the recording. The visit typically lasts 15-20 minutes.Could this study be right for you?
- Any infants from birth - 6 months (corrected age if applicable)
- Parent/legal guardian present and willing to provide informed consent
- Parent/Legal guardian is English Speaking
Official TitleSafety, Tolerability, and Outcomes of Velpatasvir/SofosbuviR in Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C Virus during Pregnancy (STORC), pregnant womanPurpose
This study involves evaluating a medication for hepatitis C in pregnant women.
If you are a pregnant woman with chronic hepatitis C and you join the study, you are consenting to enroll yourself and your baby after he/she is born.
Maternal participants will have 7 visits over approximately 7 months. Infant participants have four visits over approximately the first year of life.Could this study be right for you?
(This is not a complete list)
- Must be 18 - 45 years of age
- Chronic HCV infection of at least 6 months
- Singleton pregnancy at 20 + 0 to 30 + 0 weeks’ gestation
- Documented negative Hepatitis B testing for current infection (negative HBsAg test) prior to enrollment
- If living with HIV, must be on antiretroviral therapy
Exclusion Criteria (not a complete list)
- Plans to relocate away from the study site area in the next 16 months and unable/unwilling to return for study visits
- History of cirrhosis
- Known fetal chromosomal abnormality prior to enrollmentAge Range18 - 45
Official TitleRandomized Trial on Mobile Technology and Young Drivers' Cellphone UsePurpose
The purpose of this study is to find out if a cell phone app affects driving behavior among young drivers. This information may help us develop public health and traffic safety strategies for young drivers.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range18 - 24
- 18-24 years old at the time of recruitment
- Must have full Ohio driver's license
- Must have ownership and exclusive access to a car
- Must have car insurance with at least state-minimum coverage
- Must live in the Greater Columbus Metropolitan Area
- Must drive at least 3-4 days a week on average
- Must have functioning iPhone or Android smartphone with an active phone service account (Ex: Verizon, AT&T, etc.)
- Must not have a physical car insurance monitoring device or app installed
- Must speak and read English
Official TitleAddressing the double jeopardy of stress and hypertension among African American female caregivers of persons living with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (R21)Purpose
The purpose of this study is to determine the feasibility of a group delivered intervention for stress and blood pressure in African American women caregivers.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range40 and up
- Diagnosis of HTN treated with an antihypertensive medication or risk of HTN that includes obesity and high cholesterol
- Age 40 and older
- A caregiver rating of the PLWD of 2 or greater on the Alzheimer’s Dementia-8 scale
- Caregiver provides unpaid care to a PLWD at least 10 hours per week or assists with at least one instrumental activity of daily living
- Self-identifies as Black/African American
- English speaking
- Access to a telecommunications device such as the internet via desktop, laptop/tablet, smartphone, or telephone
Official TitleLeveraging DRVN driver training app to reduce risky driving intentions in novice teen driversPurpose
The purpose of this study is to see if the bonus safety messages and the amount of app use predicts safe driving attitudes and behaviors at licensure. We are recruiting Ohio teens with learner's permits to use a free driver training app called DRVN.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range15 - 17
- Must have learner's permit to drive in Ohio
Official TitleDevelopment of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures for Children with Concussion-Related and Non-Concussion-Related Non-Strabismic Binocular Vision, Accommodative and Visual Tracking Problems: Phase 1Purpose
The purpose of this study is to assist in development of a new quality of life survey that can be used to learn more about how eye teaming, focusing ability and eye movement problems affect a child’s life.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range8 - 17 years
- Children experiencing eye teaming, focusing, and eye movement problems (with recent concussion or non-concussed)
- Children with amblyopia (lazy eye) are excluded
Official TitleAMBLYOPIA TREATMENT STUDY (ATS22): A Randomized Trial to Evaluate Sequential vs Simultaneous Spectacles plus Patching for Amblyopia in Children 3 to <13 Years Old
The purpose of this study is to evaluate if treating amblyopia (lazy eye) with glasses and patching at the same time improves vision as well as treating amblyopia first with glasses and then with patching, if needed.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range3 - 12
- Visual acuity in the amblyopic eye between 20/40 and 20/200
- No previous treatment for amblyopia, including glasses or contact lenses
- Amblyopia (lazy eye) in one eye
Official TitleRespiratory Effects of E-Cigarettes in Obese YouthPurpose
The purpose of this study is to learn more about how vaping behaviors can affect lung function, symptoms during exercise and activity levels.
You will attend five study visits at OSU (three in the beginning of the study and two after one year). Each visit lasts 1.5 – 4 hours. Study visits will include filling surveys, lung function testing, exercise testing, providing urine samples, and measuring how you vape.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range21 - 25
- Current e-cigarette user (daily vaping for at least the past 3 months)
- 21-25 years old
- Normal weight (BMI < 25) or obese (BMI >30)
- Willing to attend 5 study visits to OSU over the course of 1 year
- Willing to abstain from all tobacco and nicotine for at least 12 hours prior to lab sessions
- No lung, heart, thyroid, or neuromuscular problems and no diabetes diagnosis
- Staying within the Columbus/Central Ohio region for the next year
Official TitleAssessing Responses to Exercise in the Heat in Trained WomenPurpose
The purpose of this research study is to conduct exercise in hot and neutral environments on women who are aerobically trained and resistance trained to characterize and compare responses across physiologic, perceptual, and neurocognitive domains. Our rationale for this investigation is that its completion would provide evidence as to how women of different fitness backgrounds respond to exercise in the heat and how that response is different from exercising in thermoneutral conditions to better describe how the female body tolerates exercise in the heat with implications for those in recreation, competitive sports, and occupation that expands to emergency and military services.Could this study be right for you?
Aerobically Trained: having a measured aerobic capacity in the 80th percentile according to age
Resistance Trained: able to squat 120% and bench press 60% of their body weight.
Unacclimatized: participants had not been consistently exposed to hot conditions (i.e., sauna, hot yoga, etc.) in the past 2 months.Age Range18 - 35
Official TitleTear Film and Corneal Profile of Pediatric Contact Lens WearersPurpose
The goal of this study is to describe the risks associated with overnight orthokeratology contact lens wear in children by identifying corneal and tear film changes. The study aims to describe and compare the tear film components in a pediatric sample wearing orthokeratology contact lenses (used to change the shape of the cornea), soft contact lenses, or glasses. Additionally, the study aims to compare the corneal thickness profile in a pediatric sample wearing orthokeratology contact lenses, soft contact lenses, or glasses.
This study requires one visit only. The overall timeline from subject recruitment to study completion is dependent upon subject and examiner availability and scheduling. As long as no changes occur to subject eligibility between initial recruitment and the study visit, there is some flexibility with timing.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range7 - 17
- Near-sighted prescription between -1.00D and -6.00D
- Current correction with glasses, soft contact lenses, or overnight orthokeratology contact lenses
- Has been wearing current correction for 6 months or longer
- Good eye and overall health