The purpose of this study is to examine whether fear of uncertainty plays a role in home safety practices among firearm owners who are currently or have recently served in the U.S. military.
- Currently serving in any Branch or Component of the U.S. military, or were discharged from the U.S. military within the past 90 days
- 18 years or older
- Own at least one firearm located in your home or vehicle
- Are able to speak and understand the English language
- Have an Apple or Android smartphone
The purpose of this study is to evaluate if FDA approved contact lenses can reduce the progression of nearsightedness in children. Children who participate in this 4-year study will be asked to wear the study provided contact lenses at least 6 days a week and be willing to attend visits at The OSU College of Optometry one month after starting treatment and every six months thereafter. Visits will include a comprehensive eye exam and contact lens fitting at no cost.
- Children ages 8 to 12 years old.
- No previous medication or contact lenses related to myopia control.
- Glasses and/or contact lens prescription between -0.75 and -4.00 diopters.
- Satisfy all other study eligibility criteria.
The purpose of this study is to identify new targets to include in a next generation for pertussis (whooping cough). Our goal is to identify new antigens that generate better immune responses against Bordetella pertussis.
You will be in the study for one day when you provide the blood sample.
- 25-40 years old and do not have diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, auto-immune disease
- Not taking any steroid medications
- Not pregnant
- Know your immunization history
- One time visit
- Healthy Volunteer
The purpose of this study is to assess the short-term and long-term impact of COVID-19 on multiple sensory systems, including smell, taste, hearing, and balance.
The study requires about 2.5 hours of your time for your first visit, during which you may undergo smell, taste, hearing, motion, and balance tests. You may be require to participate several follow-up visits, each last 1.5 hours, if you continue to experience symptoms.
- Adults diagnosed with COVID 19 within the past 1-8 weeks
- Adults with previous COVID-19 diagnosis and has persistent (>90 days) complaints of sensory dysfunctions (smell, taste, chemesthesis, hearing, balance, dizziness)
- Adult with a recent (<8 weeks) upper respiratory infection (cold, flu, etc.)
- Adult with a previous upper respiratory infection (cold, flu, etc.) and has complaints of sensory dysfunctions (smell, taste, hearing, balance, dizziness)
This study will examine the effect of different e-cigarettes on product appeal.
- A current e-cigarette user
- 21-24 years old
- Willing to attend a study visit
- A current smoker
- 25-50 years old
- Willing to attend a study visit
- Willing to try e-cigarettes
This study is looking to compare the use of multifocal contact lenses to progressive-addition (no-line bifocal) glasses. Participants will be asked to perform a hand/eye coordination task once while wearing glasses, and once while wearing contact lenses.
The duration of the study lasts 1 hour.
- Must currently have presbyopia (unable to focus on objects at near).
- Must have up-to-date pair of progressive-addition glasses (addition power of +1.50 D or higher), worn for at least 2 weeks prior to screening visit.
- Must be a wearer of multifocal contact lenses.
- Meet other study eligibility criteria.
The purpose of this study is to examine impressions on foods. This study involves looking at brain activity while you perform simple tasks (judging images of different foods).
The duration of this study will last 3 hours.
- Free of MRI contradictions
- No dietary destrictions
- Normal vison
- Right handed
The purpose of this study is to assess the agreements within romantic relationships on a variety of topics including politics, psychology and the nature of relationships.
- Must have been in a heterosexual relationship for 3 months
Clinicians use heart proteins to help them detect when there are heart problems (for example, heart attacks). Currently heart proteins can only be measured with blood work. The purpose of this research is to measure heart proteins using a non-invasive device.
The duration of this study will last one hour.
- Participant is willing to provide a blood sample
- Participant must complete a brief eligibility survey
The purpose of this study is to examine health outcomes in former Ohio State University athletes who played a varsity sport during their time at OSU. The objective is to determine whether athletes who sustained a concussion have different health outcomes than those who did not sustain a concussion. Any former OSU varsity athlete can participate in a 20-minute online survey.
- Anyone who has played a varsity sport as an undergraduate student at OSU, and they have now graduated (i.e., OSU athlete alumni). There are no other restrictions in terms of age, sex/gender, type of sport, etc.