Official TitleAddressing the double jeopardy of stress and hypertension among African American female caregivers of persons living with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (R21)Purpose
The purpose of this study is to determine the feasibility of a group delivered intervention for stress and blood pressure in African American women caregivers.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range40 and up
- Diagnosis of HTN treated with an antihypertensive medication or risk of HTN that includes obesity and high cholesterol
- Age 40 and older
- A caregiver rating of the PLWD of 2 or greater on the Alzheimer’s Dementia-8 scale
- Caregiver provides unpaid care to a PLWD at least 10 hours per week or assists with at least one instrumental activity of daily living
- Self-identifies as Black/African American
- English speaking
- Access to a telecommunications device such as the internet via desktop, laptop/tablet, smartphone, or telephone
Official TitleLeveraging DRVN driver training app to reduce risky driving intentions in novice teen driversPurpose
The purpose of this study is to see if the bonus safety messages and the amount of app use predicts safe driving attitudes and behaviors at licensure. We are recruiting Ohio teens with learner's permits to use a free driver training app called DRVN.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range15 - 17
- Must have learner's permit to drive in Ohio
Official TitleLinking Vestibular Function, Balance, and FallsPurpose
The purpose of this study is to learn how information from different sensory systems, including the vestibular system (that portion of the inner ear which measures both motion and orientation of the head), are used by the brain to contribute to perceptions of tilt and motion, and balance control and posture.Could this study be right for you?
You may be eligible to participate in the study if you:
- Are male or female, 18 years of age through 39 years of age
- Have NO history of a balance or vestibular disorder
If you are eligible and enroll in the study, you will:
Age Range18 - 39
- Complete an on-line Health Screen Questionnaire
- Complete other on-line surveys/questionnaires depending on information provided in the Health Screen Questionnaire
- Complete vestibular and balance testing depending on information provided in the Health Screen Questionnaire, which will be performed in a vestibular research laboratory at a mutually convenient time
Official TitleDevelopment of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures for Children with Concussion-Related and Non-Concussion-Related Non-Strabismic Binocular Vision, Accommodative and Visual Tracking Problems: Phase 1Purpose
The purpose of this study is to assist in development of a new quality of life survey that can be used to learn more about how eye teaming, focusing ability and eye movement problems affect a child’s life.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range8 - 17 years
- Children experiencing eye teaming, focusing, and eye movement problems (with recent concussion or non-concussed)
- Children with amblyopia (lazy eye) are excluded
Official TitleBooster Features that Influence Pediatric Posture and Comfort During Extended Time PeriodsPurpose
The purpose of this study is to determine how specific booster seat features, including seat pan geometry (booster height and length) and the inclusion of armrests, influence occupant comfort in belt-positioning booster seats (BPBs). This will be achieved through an analysis of comfort quantification methods and occupant posture and behavior under different booster conditions.
The duration of this study is two hours long.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range5 - 12
- Must be able to sit for 30 minutes at a time
- No allergy to athletic tape
Official TitleAMBLYOPIA TREATMENT STUDY (ATS22): A Randomized Trial to Evaluate Sequential vs Simultaneous Spectacles plus Patching for Amblyopia in Children 3 to <13 Years Old
The purpose of this study is to evaluate if treating amblyopia (lazy eye) with glasses and patching at the same time improves vision as well as treating amblyopia first with glasses and then with patching, if needed.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range3 - 12
- Visual acuity in the amblyopic eye between 20/40 and 20/200
- No previous treatment for amblyopia, including glasses or contact lenses
- Amblyopia (lazy eye) in one eye
Official TitleRespiratory Effects of E-Cigarettes in Obese YouthPurpose
The purpose of this study is to learn more about how vaping behaviors can affect lung function, symptoms during exercise and activity levels.
You will attend five study visits at OSU (three in the beginning of the study and two after one year). Each visit lasts 1.5 – 4 hours. Study visits will include filling surveys, lung function testing, exercise testing, providing urine samples, and measuring how you vape.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range21 - 25
- Current e-cigarette user (daily vaping for at least the past 3 months)
- 21-25 years old
- Normal weight (BMI < 25) or obese (BMI >30)
- Willing to attend 5 study visits to OSU over the course of 1 year
- Willing to abstain from all tobacco and nicotine for at least 12 hours prior to lab sessions
- No lung, heart, thyroid, or neuromuscular problems and no diabetes diagnosis
- Staying within the Columbus/Central Ohio region for the next year
Official TitleAssessing Responses to Exercise in the Heat in Trained WomenPurpose
The purpose of this research study is to conduct exercise in hot and neutral environments on women who are aerobically trained and resistance trained to characterize and compare responses across physiologic, perceptual, and neurocognitive domains. Our rationale for this investigation is that its completion would provide evidence as to how women of different fitness backgrounds respond to exercise in the heat and how that response is different from exercising in thermoneutral conditions to better describe how the female body tolerates exercise in the heat with implications for those in recreation, competitive sports, and occupation that expands to emergency and military services.Could this study be right for you?
Aerobically Trained: having a measured aerobic capacity in the 80th percentile according to age
Resistance Trained: able to squat 120% and bench press 60% of their body weight.
Unacclimatized: participants had not been consistently exposed to hot conditions (i.e., sauna, hot yoga, etc.) in the past 2 months.Age Range18 - 35
Official TitleTear Film and Corneal Profile of Pediatric Contact Lens WearersPurpose
The goal of this study is to describe the risks associated with overnight orthokeratology contact lens wear in children by identifying corneal and tear film changes. The study aims to describe and compare the tear film components in a pediatric sample wearing orthokeratology contact lenses (used to change the shape of the cornea), soft contact lenses, or glasses. Additionally, the study aims to compare the corneal thickness profile in a pediatric sample wearing orthokeratology contact lenses, soft contact lenses, or glasses.
This study requires one visit only. The overall timeline from subject recruitment to study completion is dependent upon subject and examiner availability and scheduling. As long as no changes occur to subject eligibility between initial recruitment and the study visit, there is some flexibility with timing.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range7 - 17
- Near-sighted prescription between -1.00D and -6.00D
- Current correction with glasses, soft contact lenses, or overnight orthokeratology contact lenses
- Has been wearing current correction for 6 months or longer
- Good eye and overall health
Official TitleEvaluating the effect of a WearIng a TENS-device in NausEa Relief (The WINNER Study)Purpose
The purpose of this study is to evaluate if this wearable device can help manage nausea in those who suffer from this problem chronically.
If you choose to participate, then you will be given the study device to wear on your wrist for 12 weeks. In the weeks before and during this time, you will complete a series of daily and weekly questionnaires about your nausea symptoms, mood, sleep, and bowel habits.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range18 and up
- Nausea going on for more than 2 months
- 18 years or older
- Able to understand English
- Seen at OSU for their care
- Able to complete surveys online using either smart phone or computer
Official TitleVisual Search Strategy in Neurodivergent PopulationsPurpose
The purpose of this study is to evaluate if people with autism are different from typical people in the way they pay attention and look for things. They use a special test called the Adaptive Choice Visual Search task to see how people search for things in a picture. In this study, we want to know if people with autism do better or worse than typical people and if they use different strategies to find things. We want to understand why some people with autism are better at paying attention when they look at things.Could this study be right for you?
Age Range18 - 40
- Male and females aged 18 to 40 years old
- Normal/corrected vision and color vision
- Autistic participants must be verbal and have an IQ > 70
Official TitleWeight, Energy, Lipids, and the Liver (WELL) Study: A randomized controlled trial to understand how dietary fat quality affects fat in the liverPurpose
The purpose of the WELL study is to examine how consuming dietary oils in foods like spreads, bread, cookies, muffins, and brownies everyday influences liver fat.
The study will measure liver fat using and MRI before and after consuming 3 of the study foods per day for 16 weeks. The study will also examine how consuming the study foods each day influences fat in the abdomen and in the blood. The total study duration is 18 weeks.Could this study be right for you?
- Ages 25-80
- Have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or something similar
Exclusion Criteria Include
- Unable to have an MRI scan